Monday, October 10, 2011

Menstrual Cup Product Marketing

I have been using the Keeper cup for about a year now, and I'm not going back. Menstrual cups are more affordable (although, yes, initially they can be expensive), and much better for the environment (I just hate the idea of landfills filled with tampons).

I chose the keeper cup for one particular reason, marketing. The DivaCup's advertising and packaging materials are all pink and purple, with flowers and hearts and... could it be more girly? You'll never meet anyone as pumped about women and womanhood as me, but that doesn't mean I need to embrace sexism in advertising. I know that DivaCup is run by two women, and all the power to them, but, come on, pink? Flowers? Divas? That is undeniably extremely gendered advertising. My menstrual cup is a badass, big (vegan-)leather boot wearing, patriarchy-smashing force to reckoned with. It does not sit at home doodling daisies and hearts and thinking about princess things.




I'm sorry if this sounds crass (oh wait, maybe not?), but honestly... who are they marketing their product to? I have nothing but support for every woman in this world, and I recognize that femininity is fluid and that everyone has their own personal style- I'm sure that some people are really into the packaging... but I have no use for the "Diva"-pink-flower keychain that comes with the Diva cup.

So yeah. My keeper cup is awesome, my keeper cup is empowering, I'm never going back to tampons. The only complaint that I have is that it is a little stiff, but not so much that I am looking for a new product. Just make sure you buy the size for you - I wear a size B (for "before childbirth"), as opposed to A ("after childbirth").

I have never personally used the disposables, but one of my best friends tried them for a while and was having trouble with them. I'm not entirely sure if she was using properly, or had a size problem, or what... but she had a hard time having them stay in and feel comfortable at the same time.

Alright, I should stop. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment